Welcome to the Wonder Zone!
Wonder how? Wonder why? Wonder Zone is your weekly peek into the minds of Cincinnati Museum Center Program Specialists. Why are Peacock feathers so shiny? How do magnets work? Every week, James, Brian, Megan or another CMC specialist will guide you through a new experiment answering questions like these. See how to perform fun science experiments at home and, more importantly, learn why and how the experiment even works in the first place.
Wonder Zone videos go live every week. Have questions? Want to suggest your own Wonder Zone topic? Hit us up on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #CMCWonderZone
Wonder Zone Video of the Week
Chemistry meets physics (meets photography?) in this explosively fun experiment.
Alka-Seltzer or other effervescent tablet
Film canister with cap
- Fill the film canister one-third to one-half of the way full of water.
- Break the Alka-Seltzer tablet into quarters.
- Place one piece of the tablet into the canister.
- Immediately close the canister with the lid.
- Shake the canister and put it cap side down on a stable surface.
- STAND BACK AND PREPARE FOR BLAST-OFF!
- Once enough air pressure has built up, the canister will fire into the air with a pop!
Go further: Do you think the canister will go higher with more or less water? How about more or less of the effervescent tablet? What if you change the temperature of the water?